One thing stuck me was how horrible our sense of traffic was..
- Lane discipline is a universal violation.
- Everyone is in tearing hurry.
- We honk just too much. There should be a ban on honking... 'NO Horn Please, OK'
- No empathy on road, we are never courteous to the fellow-travellers.
- Of course, city roads are over-crowded with cars, and at times trucks.
- No specific timings & routes for trucks ?!
- Public transport gets no priority.
- Our autorickshaws are.... wow ! This deserves a separate story/post :)
- Traffic Cops are usually not 'managing' traffic, but only 'penalising' - whether on city roads, catching the offenders, rightfully. Or, on suburbs/highways, the truck-drivers - may not be always 'offenders' !
Got this story from a friend, about the blackberry devices used by traffic cops in Blore. Yet to see one, but very inspiring story, it is actually being implemented.
Pls don't get me wrong. I don't want to sound snobbish. These days, I am under no pressure to reach my destinations, no work-pressure, etc. Hence, perhaps, observing a lot more ! Also, I would like to think I am more empathetic!!!
Traffic is so much more organised even in Middle East, leave alone other developed countries. And we have lots of Indians driving on ME roads.
The traffic depts & govts need to do their bit to inculcate traffic discipline. But then, we need to take some responsibility too.
Happy & Safe driving .....